Where will I live?

Know where you will live

The Rockhampton Region is one of the most affordable in the country for cost of living. It is important that you have a plan before you leave home so you are settled for the first semester of your studies. If you are unsure, discuss your accommodation requirements with your education provider.

Are you a CQUniversity student?

University residential accommodation or home stay accommodation is highly recommended to start. These arrangements will have someone who can provide assistance and guidance to help you familiarise with Rockhampton and get used to life in Australia. For longer term living arrangements, many university students enjoy renting their own apartment or house independently or perhaps sharing with other students to keep costs down.

Are you attending one of our secondary schools?

All school students under the age of 18 years are required to live in the schools boarding accommodation or home stay arrangements approved by the school to comply with visa conditions. Ask your education provider for the relevant information.

Are you coming to Rockhampton for a fixed term contract to learn and work?

Your employer may arrange accommodation for you. If not, you may like to look for short term accommodation and after you arrive,explore options to rent a home. Make sure you go to inspect the house yourself and meet the other people living there before you sign any agreements or leases, and check out ‘Advice for Students’ on the RTA website.

Are you visiting for a few weeks or short-term study program?

If your program does not include living arrangements, Staying with a host family or in a motel close to your study venue are good options.

Tip | Choosing rental accommodation within walking or biking distance or on a direct bus route to your educational institution or work will help keep your transport costs down.